How Do I apply for Medicaid and what Documents Will I Need for My Application Process:

Medicaid is a government medical insurance program available for low income individuals. Each state has its own criteria in order to determine who is eligible for benefits. In order to determine the criteria for your state, you will want to begin to fill out an application.

In all states, however, it is granted to low income people, families, and children, pregnant women, seniors, and people with disabilities. This program can be used as a primary insurance or as a secondary insurance for those who receive Medicare benefits.


Medicaid Application Process

Enrollment is also completed by each individual state. Typically, the Department of Children and Families, or your state’s equivalent, handles enrollment. To apply, you will need to complete an application form. Depending upon your state, this form can be completed online, faxed, mailed, or completed at certain buildings within your area that are set up as “access” stations. These access stations are typically located at local non-profit locations, employment assistance centers, and various other locations. In order to complete this form online, you will need access to a computer and the internet. If you do not have access to these items, you may use the public library computers to enroll, or visit a local access location. You can find your state’s online form by visiting and selecting your state, or by contacting your local Medicaid office. In order to complete your form by fax or mail, you will need to locate a local office in your area to obtain the paper form, or you can obtain a paper form online. To locate a paper form for your state, if available, you can visit and select your state. This will provide you with all of your options for submitting your application form.


Important Enrollment Documentation

Before you apply, you will need to have certain documentation in order for your enrollment to be processed in a timely manner. For all applications, you will need proof of age, proof of citizenship, proof of identity, proof of marital status, proof of income, proof of financial assets. Please see below for examples of what documentation can be used.


Proof of Age & Proof of Citizenship

This includes, but is not limited to, a United States Passport, Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, or Baptismal Certificate. Only one form of proof of age is necessary to apply. This includes, but is not limited to, a United States Passport, Birth Certificate, Naturalization Papers, Alien Registration Card, or Final Adoption Decree. Again, only one form of proof of citizenship is required to enroll.


Proof of Identity & Marital Status

This includes, but is not limited to, a United States Passport, State Identification Card, Driver’s License, School Identification Card, Military Identification Card, or County Identification Card. Only one form of proof is necessary to comply with the proof of identity documentation. This is only necessary if you have been married, divorced, or widowed. If you are and always have been single, you are not required to provide proof of marital status. If your marital status has been changed from single at any time, you will be required to provide a marriage certificate, separation papers, divorce decree, or your spouse’s death certificate as proof of marital status.


Proof of Income

If you are receiving any form of income, you will be required to provide proof of that income. If you are a senior citizen collecting pension, social security, or retirement benefits, you will be required to provide documentation of that income. Proof of income can be provided in the form of a pay stub, social security award letter, railroad retirement award letter, pension statement, unemployment check stub, support or alimony check or court order, VA award letter, or SSI award letter. All forms of income must be represented in your documentation.


Proof of Financial Assets

Assets are accounts, property, or contracts that have cash value. This includes, but is not limited to, checking accounts, savings accounts, money market accounts, stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit, annuities, retirement accounts, automobiles, deeds to property owned, mortgages, trust accounts, burial plots, and prepaid funeral contracts. You will need to provide documentation for all of these assets that you have. For seniors or other persons who have completed burial or funeral arrangements, irrevocable contracts for burial and funeral services may not be considered an asset depending upon your state’s criteria. Additionally, each state allows you to set aside a certain amount of funds for burial and funeral expenses if you have not done so. You will most likely find this information on your state’s form.


Other Necessary Documentation

Other documentation may be necessary to complete your enrollment form. A copy of your social security card, if applicable, will need to be provided. Additionally, senior citizens and disabled persons who have Medicare will need to provide a copy of the Medicare benefit card. Furthermore, you will need to provide copies of any current insurance cards that you may have as well as an insurance premium bill or payment coupon. If you have a power of attorney or guardian, you will also need to provide your power of attorney or guardianship paperwork. With the above documentation, your enrollment should be processed without any issues. However, if any additional paperwork is needed, your state will notify you and provide you with the details of the needed documentation as well as give you a time frame for returning the needed documentation.


The National Alzheimer’s Association has several helpful free guides to coping with Alzheimer’s disease, ranging from the basics to caregiving to safety, treatments and “Know the 10 signs of Alzheimer’s.”” The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America provides a wide range of publications about Alzheimer’s, as well as a free hotline (866-232-8484) for caregivers, staffed by social workers

Elder Abuse
The National Center on Elder Abuse offers a variety of helpful resources to educate the public and assist victims of elder including links to local abuse, hotlines and prevention programs. Fall Prevention The US. Consumer Products Safety Commission has put together a free booklet on “safety for older Consumers Home Safety Checklist ” That covers all the essentials needed to prevent falls and accidents in and around the home.

Fraud & Identity Theft
When it comes to elder fraud, why not learn from the top dog- the FBI. At citizen fraud page, you’ll find a comprehensive list of the most common frauds and scams, from telemarketing fraud, identity theft, advance fee schemes, investment scams, internet fraud, reverse mortgage fraud, even counterfeit prescription drugs, and how to protect yourself or your loved ones.